The DeKalb County Law Library is hiring a Reference Librarian in charming downtown Decatur. This is a new position, created to provide expanded service to the bench, bar, and public in DeKalb County. This expanding mission will eventually require some evening and weekend hours. Legal research experience is desired but not required.
Purpose of Classification
The purpose of this classification is to provide legal information to law library users under the general direction of the Law Librarian.
- Provides reference assistance to patrons from the reference desk.
- Provides additional reference assistance to patrons on the telephone.
- Assists patrons with access to various electronic legal research databases.
- Prepares the law library facilities for use by patrons by reshelving print materials, straightening chairs and tables, and generally maintaining the neat appearance of the law library throughout the day.
- Suggests library materials for acquisition and de-selection.
- Participates in ongoing maintenance of the law library collection.
- Collaborates with departments, organizations, and agencies outside the library in the development of services and programs.
- Troubleshoots law library computers when necessary.
- Creates research guides and other materials for patrons and the law library staff.
- Contributes content for the Law Library’s online presence, including webpages, blog and social media posts, and event announcements.
- Presents programs and conducts training sessions on law library resources and services, including research databases and services for attorneys and other legal professionals.
- Enforces law library rules.
- Performs other functions and job-related duties as assigned.
- ALA Accredited Master of Library Science (or equivalent) degree
- Applicants with a JD and library experience will be considered
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Legal research experience
- Library public service experience
- Library cataloging experience
- Training/teaching experience
Evening/weekend hours may be required.
- Salary Grade: 17
- Salary Range: $45,552 -$70,609
- FLSA Exempt
- Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM EDT
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter, email preferred, to:
Sarah K.C. Mauldin
DeKalb County Law Library
556 N. McDonough St, Room 400
Decatur, GA 30030