Opening Date: October 2, 2018
Closing Date: October 16, 2018
LC Organization Unit: Congressional Research Service
LC Organization Unit – Specific Office: Knowledge Services Group
Availability: U.S. Citizens Only
Duration: 6 Months
The Congressional Research Service (CRS), a service unit of the Library of Congress, works exclusively for the United States Congress providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation. The CRS, Knowledge Services Group (KSG), seeks four Library Technicians (GS-7) – two in its Knowledge and Technical Services section and two in its Information Architecture, Data, and Analytics section.
The selectees for this temporary position will participate in the creation of sites for CRS’s Research Portal, which is a digital document repository built on the Microsoft SharePoint platform and assist with collection maintenance projects. Knowledge management (KM) work will include scanning documents, ensuring they are legible and fully OCRed, uploading them to a SharePoint site, applying file-naming conventions and metadata, and performing quality assurance (QA) tasks for the site. Collections work will include inventorying monographs and serials in print and identifying electronic versions of those titles. As part of the section, the candidates will also participate in discussions on tools and best practices to improve KM processes. The technicians will contribute by entering descriptive metadata of materials to allow for efficient identification and search functionality. Tasks associated with preservation and disposition of materials will be completed by these positions.
– Ability to search bibliographic databases, including library catalogs, and to understand bibliographic information in relation to physical and/or digital items in hand.
– Experience reviewing and preparing formal documents.
– Ability to build and maintain digital collections.
– Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
– Capacity to learn other types of software programs.
– Strong organizational and time management skills.
– Ability to maintain confidentiality, follow up on commitments on a timely basis and adhere to deadlines
– Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment as part of a team
– Must have a professional demeanor
– Strong attention to detail and the ability to work efficiently within strict production schedule deadlines
– U.S. citizenship is required for this position.
Anticipated Start Date: October 30, 2018
Duration: Full time (40 hours per week) temporary position lasting 6 months
Salary: GS -7 $45,972 – $59,762
Location: Washington, DC
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THE PERSON(S) SELECTED UNDER THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT.
How to Apply: Please email a resume, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For each position on your resume, please include the dates of employment (month and year) and hours worked per week.