The FLP is actively recruiting Librarian 1 candidates for an anticipated 25+ openings in neighborhood libraries.
The Library has been diligently working with the City’s Office of Human Resources (OHR) to search for mission-driven candidates through a diversity and inclusion lens.
✓The existing Librarian 1 list will be exhausted before we tap newer lists.
✓One test is announced as promotional (click here to view the departmental only announcement) for existing permanent city employees who have a masters in library science or who anticipate graduating with a masters in library science within the next 9 months. The second test is announced as open competitive (click here to view the open competitive announcement), for external candidates.
Both tests are being announced as General and Bilingual, in order to pull in candidates with bilingual language skills. Candidates who are fluent in the following languages will be tested on the same day they take the Librarian 1 test: Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Vietnamese, Khmer, Korean, French, Haitian-Creole and American Sign Language (ASL).
The FLP will be testing for these positions at MSB (MUNICIPAL SERVICES BUILDING) on June 26-27 and at the annual American Library Association (ALA) conference on June 22-23 (this year being held in Washington, DC).
For the first time, these positions will also be advertised concurrently on multiple platforms:
- ALA job board
- ALA interest group listservs, including the Black Caucus of ALA; the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) Round Table of ALA; REFORMA (the National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking), and the Asian Pacific American Librarian Association.
- FLP blog and website
- FLP Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Other City agencies’ social networks, including those from OHR and the City of Philadelphia
- SmartRecruiters (which then populates many online job sites)
- Job boards at local and regional schools offering a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science, including Clarion University, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Albany, Florida State University, University of Pittsburgh, Rutgers University – New Brunswick, Syracuse University, Wayne State University, North Carolina Central University, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, and Drexel University.
Looking ahead, FLP will continue to work with OHR to put together a strategic outreach and recruitment plan to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), as well as other Library schools, to coincide with common graduation times in the spring, in order to continue to draw a diverse candidate pool. Philadelphia is a historic, multicultural, and multilingual city, and we are actively seeking candidates who reflect the diversity of our dynamic home.
To read the full and revised job description, please visit the FLP blog . And lastly, we need your help in spreading the word! Please consider sharing these announcements on your social media accounts and with all contacts who may be eligible.
Senior Departmental HR Associate
215-686-5307 | freelibrary.org
Parkway Central, 1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103